GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
jeff97gt
GAGT - Member

AKA: jeff
Vehicle: 97 GAGT 91 z28
jeff97gt Gettin' there
well went and got my parts question....

Pulled the upper, lower, egr, TB, and the coolant tube (though I don't think I'm gonna use it, probably going to tap the new manifold to accept my return line) and I got anfewnother random things. Will be doing the swap in two weeks when I get gaskets.

Here is my question. I also took the diagonal strut braces that come factory on some gm cars (olds intrigue, Buick century) is it worth it to install them ? Being as though I can't find a STB atba decent price for my 97'..... I'm sure I can install them fairly easily.. But will it be worth it ? How well do they stiffen the cars up that they are on ? Anyone know ? Or done anything like this ?
jeff97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
A member here has done it on a 5th Gen and while he was able to bolt it up, i am a bit skeptical it would benefit much except add weight and "look cool." The idea is sound, but the support on our cars (5th Gen) in that area have way too much flex in them.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
jeff97gt
GAGT - Member

AKA: jeff
Vehicle: 97 GAGT 91 z28
jeff97gt Gettin' there
That's the same questions I'm having. I'm sure I would notice the benefits of a standard stb quite a bit more, but this was all I could afford . I was just gonna powdercoat them to match the car and put em on. I mean yeah they will look cool butnif they are not going to do squat, I don't want to waste my time powder coating them..
jeff97gt is offline   Reply With Quote