GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > HOW TO's

Old 02-10-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
StarFire
Got Bass?

Vehicle: 2K1 GAGT >< 2K2 TA WS6
StarFire Gettin' there
Send a message via ICQ to StarFire Send a message via AIM to StarFire Send a message via Yahoo to StarFire
HOW TO Align Headlights yourself.

With everyone getting bulbs as of late, I thought it should be made well known how to align your headlights so you don't blind others (no matter how much fun it is ).

-=StarFire=-

Do-it-yourself Headlight Alignment

You'll need:
A Level
A Tape Measure
Masking Tape
A spacious parking area near a flat, light colored wall.

Getting Set Up:

Park so that both the left and right headlights are precisely 25 feet from the wall.

Using your tape measure, find the exact middle of both the windshield & rear window and mark them with strips of tape, creating vertical center lines, front & rear.

Standing behind the car, now sight along those center lines, as if you were lining up sights on a rifle in a carnival shooting gallery. When center lines are aligned, you can locate the headlight centerline on the wall. Mark this with another strip of tape.

Now measure the distance between the headlight lenses, center to center. Divide this distance in half and measure that distance to the right of the centerline on the wall. Mark it with a vertical strip of tape. Do the same on the left side.

Finally, measure the distance from the ground to the center of each headlight lens; mark that distance on the wall with a horizontal strip of tape.

You should now have two crosses on the wall, with centers that correspond exactly to the center of each headlight lens.

Testing Your Beams:

Turn your headlights on low beam. The left edge of the bright spots on the wall should just touch the vertical bars of the crosses in the lower right quadrants. The top edge should just touch the horizontal bars.

On some cars, you can adjust the headlight aim yourself by turning small set screws at the top & sides of each lamp. For our cars the out side Torx is used to aim up and down, the inside is for left and right.

If you cannot do it yourself, a mechanic can adjust your headlights at a garage or dealership. Aligning your headlights does not substitute for any required state inspections.

Here's another link on how to do it with some pictures: http://www.diynet.com/DIY/article/0,2058,2984,00.html
Vicious Perfomance #8

Last edited by StarFire; 02-10-2003 at 11:02 AM.
StarFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
jaketuff
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
jaketuff Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to jaketuff
Yawn... it's so easy...

*Not! Good tips!
Pat
jaketuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
wildskis
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 2002 GT
wildskis Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to wildskis
Well, this thread is a little old but I have some useful info for all those people who have "google eye" headlights. If your lamps are sticking out too far from the body, the lights are making an "x" pattern, or you just plain can't get the beam to lower, here's what you do:

Depending on how bad your lights are off and how bad the lamps stick out, you may have to do more or less adjusting. It is really just an experience thing; once you figure it out you'll never have a problem again. All of the above problems with light adjustments usually have to deal with one thing: the third guide. First, check and make sure it is actually in the track. That is an easy fix. If it is in the track, remove the whole lamp so that you can see all THREE guides. By now your torx screw adjusters may be waaaay off so make sure that the adjuster is slightly closer than half the distance of the bolt to the headlight. This ensures a snug fit. Now here comes the fun part: to lower the beam and keep the headlights flush with the car you must adjust the third guide. This is tricky, because it is hard to tell how far you need to adjust it. In my experience I've found that if after adjusting the headlights stick more than a half an inch away from the body of the car, the third guide needs to be turned clockwise five FULL 360 degree turns. Now slide the lamps back in the body without locking them in and turn on your lights. If they are still too high, keep going, if too low, turn 'em counter-clockwise a bit. You don't need to get it exactly right, it is more of a rough estimate. Once they are close, then lock the lights back in and use the torx adjusters to provide more of a fine tuning. ALWAYS adjust the outer screw first (Vertical) before the inner (horizontal). The vertical adjustments will throw off your horizontal, so that is why you need to follow that order.

If your beams are crossing, (the "x" problem) determine which side is the worst. Note: the driver's side is SUPPOSED to aim right a little bit, this is to prevent blinding other drivers. Follow the same instructions as above, but you will probably need to turn the third guide at least a couple times more. Once you have corrected the bad side, you'll have more of a feel for how much you need to adjust the other side.

I hope this helps! If anyone has any ?'s, PM or email me.
wildskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
99GAGTX
resident lunatic

AKA: Lou
Vehicle: 99 Grand Am GT - sold
99GAGTX Gettin' there
Okay... since both my headlight assemblies were scratched and yellowing, I got two new OEM headlamp assemblies. I need to aim them since the adjustment screws are not set properly from the factory. I read this thread, and have a problem. My windows are tinted, and I won't be able to see tape lines through the back window. Is there another way to go about aiming them myself? Or am I screwed, and have to go to the dealer?
99GAGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
coupe
lick it

AKA: Rand
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Im having trouble aiming my autodynasty lights.
The driver side sticks out to far from the body and the passenger side is almost perfect. Im now guessing its the 3rd track guide, i really didnt realize it was adjustable. God i hate taking them out over and over again, they are sucha pain in the ass.
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
, took me a few hours to get those in as well, patience pays off though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
coupe
lick it

coupe a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxus
, took me a few hours to get those in as well, patience pays off though.

Did it end up being the 3rd track guide? These lights are really starting to piss me off.
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
tommy00gt1
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tommy
Vehicle: 2000 GT1
tommy00gt1 Gettin' there
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but if it's any help I just replaced mine too....and yes, it took me four hours too because it was my first time. My adjusters were way, way off so I had a lot of "trial & error" adjusting. For me, that third adjuster (the black one) was the one that was giving me alignment problems. My assembly stuck out way too far from the car; looked like hell. So I had to screw that black adjuster clockwise... many, many times around to get the assembly flush with the car. After I did that, I then "eyeballed" the beam aim against the car garage the best I could, then drove it to any of the inspection stsations in my area. I asked them if I could simply drive into the bay to see if my light aim was off; they said "sure...". (no charge)
Surprisingly, I eyeballed them right on the button, ... The attendant even said "they can't be any better than that".

So, if your assemblies stick out too far, it might just be that third adjuster....
Sure, it took mr four hours, but that was my first time taking the damn things out, and installing brand new ones that have all adjusters way, way off... I can hear the laughter already, ..... But, if I ever have to take these damn things out again, at least now I'll know exactly how it's done. That first time was a nightmare for me.... Now stop laughing at me, !!!!!!! I'm a old timer here, .

Hey, we all gotta learn sometime, right ???? Oh well, take care everyone.... Oh, by the way..... I installed Sylvania SilverStar's in my assemblies.... I am VERY pleased with the nice, bright white light output. Damn nice bulbs....

EDIT >>> Wow, I must be going nuts here. I just noticed that there are "smiley faces" inserted in many places in my reply here... do they install by themselves? I didn't insert smiley things... Where the heck do they come from, ????
tommy00gt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
ViperGTSR
i &lt;3 my lanyard

AKA: Alex
Vehicle: Turbo Biodiesel | R1
ViperGTSR Gettin' there
LOL =
Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
coupe
lick it

coupe a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy00gt1
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but if it's any help I just replaced mine too....and yes, it took me four hours too because it was my first time. My adjusters were way, way off so I had a lot of "trial & error" adjusting. For me, that third adjuster (the black one) was the one that was giving me alignment problems. My assembly stuck out way too far from the car; looked like hell. So I had to screw that black adjuster clockwise... many, many times around to get the assembly flush with the car. After I did that, I then "eyeballed" the beam aim against the car garage the best I could, then drove it to any of the inspection stsations in my area. I asked them if I could simply drive into the bay to see if my light aim was off; they said "sure...". (no charge)
Surprisingly, I eyeballed them right on the button, ... The attendant even said "they can't be any better than that".

So, if your assemblies stick out too far, it might just be that third adjuster....
Sure, it took mr four hours, but that was my first time taking the damn things out, and installing brand new ones that have all adjusters way, way off... I can hear the laughter already, ..... But, if I ever have to take these damn things out again, at least now I'll know exactly how it's done. That first time was a nightmare for me.... Now stop laughing at me, !!!!!!! I'm a old timer here, .

Hey, we all gotta learn sometime, right ???? Oh well, take care everyone.... Oh, by the way..... I installed Sylvania SilverStar's in my assemblies.... I am VERY pleased with the nice, bright white light output. Damn nice bulbs....

EDIT >>> Wow, I must be going nuts here. I just noticed that there are "smiley faces" inserted in many places in my reply here... do they install by themselves? I didn't insert smiley things... Where the heck do they come from, ????
From what i can tell you cant adjust the third track guide, how did you adjust that?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
ViperGTSR
i &lt;3 my lanyard

ViperGTSR Gettin' there
theres 2 torx controlled adjusters right? and then the black chunk of plastic, that slides in vertically. Is that the piece you are talking about? That piece can be screwed in or out (turned)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
coupe
lick it

coupe a trusted member
Yes 2 torx controlled adjusters and then the one that has no adjuster, just slides into a guide, thats the one im talking about.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
ViperGTSR
i &lt;3 my lanyard

ViperGTSR Gettin' there
yea, that one can be turned CW, or CCW to adjust its depth
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
coupe
lick it

coupe a trusted member
Ill give it a try but i dont think it can be adjusted.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
GMMike
GAGT - Member

AKA: Michael
Vehicle: 2007 Chevy Malibu LT
GMMike Gettin' there
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...270900,00.html

The original link don't have the pics anymore so you guys can go here for some pics.

Last edited by GMMike; 03-07-2007 at 08:45 PM.
GMMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
BlackAttackGA
Proud GA Owner

AKA: Miles
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE Sedan
BlackAttackGA Gettin' there
I need to adjust mine. The left side is fine, but the right side is just pointing way up. I hate these headlights.
BlackAttackGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
tenspeed
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 02 GA 2.2L, 5 Speed
tenspeed has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAttackGA View Post
I need to adjust mine. The left side is fine, but the right side is just pointing way up. I hate these headlights.
Sometimes when a light is too high, the lower leg is not seated. If it's not in the socket the bottom of the light gets pushed out.

A simple way to check your adjustment is to find a blank block wall with flat, level pavement. I used to go beside or behind large stores at the mall.

Pull up to the wall and make a mental note where on the block wall where the headlight beams hit. Back the car up to see what the pattern looks like. Make your adjustments from there.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #18
Vampyrate
Resident Compu-Nerd

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE Coupe
Vampyrate Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Vampyrate Send a message via MSN to Vampyrate Send a message via Yahoo to Vampyrate
Necromancy!!!!

I have never adjusted my headlights, and the third track is in there great... but teh right beam is way high...

from what ive read the screw on the left (when facing the light) is for up/down
soooo... which way up and which way down? left = down or is it right?
Vampyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
tenspeed
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 02 GA 2.2L, 5 Speed
tenspeed has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrate View Post
Necromancy!!!!

I have never adjusted my headlights, and the third track is in there great... but teh right beam is way high...

from what ive read the screw on the left (when facing the light) is for up/down
soooo... which way up and which way down? left = down or is it right?

The adjuster near the grill moves the unit left/right. The adjuster near the fender moves it up/down.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Vampyrate
Resident Compu-Nerd

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE Coupe
Vampyrate Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Vampyrate Send a message via MSN to Vampyrate Send a message via Yahoo to Vampyrate
i know that part... but do i turn the screw left for down or right for down?
Vampyrate is offline   Reply With Quote