GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Danspeed1
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dan
Vehicle: 05 Grand Am GT1
Danspeed1 Gettin' there
Axle Seals and Trans front pump seal

Well the time has finally arrived. Made it 50,000 more miles than I expected. Car currently has 220K on original trans. Blew it up last weekend. So I just picked up a trans with 34K on it. The salvage yard told me they advise I replace the front pump seal and the axle seals. I haven't had an opportunity to take a real good look at this thing yet. I know that some seals require a special installation tool which I do not have. Some do not. I have a 2005 Grand am GT. Do I need anything special to install any of the new seals or do I just bang them in with a socket as usual? Also does anyone have the part numbers for all 3 seals. Any help you can provide is much appreciated as I want to install all of this, this weekend.

Thanks,
Dan
Danspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
Axle seals you can use a socket but you have to be careful.

Front pump seal im not sure

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Output shaft CR# 16122
Converter/input CR# 17849

In the absence of the proper seal driver, output seals can be fitted with an appropriately sized impact socket or even a block of wood cut square.

Input seals are more challenging to install without the proper installation tool, as the pump shaft and stator support typically extend beyond a socket's depth. A section of appropriately sized schedule 40 or 80 pvc pipe can sometimes be fashioned as a seal installer; fitting a cap or plug to the struck end enables the mallet blows to be centered over the seal. Driving the seal by walking around the perimeter with a drift and hammer is possible, but requires significant patience and quite a bit of finesse. If the latter method is attempted and the seal winds up ****ed/distorted, don't attempt to hammer it in flat; start over with a new seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote