GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
jasonbauer8
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: 2000 grand am GT
jasonbauer8 Gettin' there
Realistic power levels from the 3.4

So, what is a realistic HP/Torque possibility from the 3.4 and still be driveable on the street? Mind you, i dont need to worry about emissions where I live. My 2000 GT has a fresh transmission so its good for now. Resonator is gone and its flowmastered. Its approaching 200k now with a bad lifter so i know this engine is living on time but, if i was to build and engine? I've heard of the 3.5 head swap but what else? Thanks for viewing.
jasonbauer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
Depends on what you are willing to spend.
Fast, cheap, or reliable. Pick 2.

Honestly, having gone through it all several times, there are much better ways to spend your hard-earned money. You've been warned.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, AP Racing brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Click here to see my Wheelwell profile
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbauer8 View Post
So, what is a realistic HP/Torque possibility from the 3.4 and still be driveable on the street? Mind you, i dont need to worry about emissions where I live. My 2000 GT has a fresh transmission so its good for now. Resonator is gone and its flowmastered. Its approaching 200k now with a bad lifter so i know this engine is living on time but, if i was to build and engine? I've heard of the 3.5 head swap but what else? Thanks for viewing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Depends on what you are willing to spend.
Fast, cheap, or reliable. Pick 2.

Honestly, having gone through it all several times, there are much better ways to spend your hard-earned money. You've been warned.
There is this right here^^

And regardless if your transmission is fresh that is your first constraint holding you below what the motor is capable of.

Just throw a LX9 3500 in there and be happy being ~1 second quicker in the 1/4 mile. Find some headers too if you can. Otherwise you will be spending a lot more money to be going faster.
1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
I like the stock 3400. Agreed with the rest. Keep it running and sounding good.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
3400cavyhatch
GAGT - Member

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 84 Cavalier Type 10
3400cavyhatch Gettin' there
Start with making sure that everything is in good working order, brakes, lines, engine, transmission, cooling system, fuel system...

I'm thinking that a weak fuel pump was the cause for the poor performance from my 2002 GAGT it had a LX9 / HEADERS / muffler and managed a 15.5 in the 1/4.

My Alero that has a an upgraded fuel pump, and some transmission tune adjustments ran a 15.5 bone stock, not even a muffler. But it has had more regular maintenance.
2002 GAGT 3500 swap
3400cavyhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
How much power to just be "driveable on the street"? Quite a bit. I was making over 300 hp at the wheels and 280 ft/lbs torque and daily driving mine for a long time. I spent a lot of money and time to get it there though. And it doesn't matter if your trans is fresh, as already mentioned, your stock trans won't hold that kind of power. You'd need a built trans or a swap, and since Raybestos doesn't make the blue clutch plates for the 4T45 anymore, your options are a 4T65 or a manual swap (both require custom PCM tuning and wiring).

If you wanted to go a bit more mild, you can make a decently peppy daily driver with intake/exhaust and some ported heads. Headers net one of the biggest NA gains on these, but are expensive and hard to find now, unless you can weld and make your own. You can even go with a mild cam and the 3400 responds well to that. At that point though a custom tune and possibly larger injectors are pretty much required. Also at that point you'll be over 200 whp and the trans is going to wear out faster. It's really just cheaper and easier to modify a car designed for performance from the start.

It all depends on how much time, money, and patience you have. If you don't have a lot of money and technical/fab skills, and you need something that is going to stay reliable for a long time, I'd just stick with intake/exhaust and call it good. Get some nice wheels and a good stereo, keep it clean and maintain it, and enjoy driving it.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
xUnderCoverHoBo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jarrett
Vehicle: 2012 Honda Civic
xUnderCoverHoBo Gettin' there
Wazzz uppp bitches

xUnderCoverHoBo is offline   Reply With Quote