GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Shine (Detailing tips)

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
yeah some areas you cant get in with a DA but 95% of these cars can easily be done with a DA.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, BRENTUNE, power commander 5, dyno tune, 198WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #22
Pontiac_guy99
welp

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1 4dr
Pontiac_guy99 a trusted member
Man i might have to use this on my trunk lid! It is horribly swirled and these instructions are very clear and helpful.

Currently: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 3.8L with:
Trans-go Shift Kit, Updated Trans mount. Stock af.
Previously:2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 3.4L V6 with:
Aftermarket Twin Post Mirrors, semi-aftermarket chrome rim swap, blacked-out chrome window trim, rear disc brake swap, red painted calipers, GT muffler and pipes, 35% and 20% tinted windows, Stock air intake, 30th Anniversary Leather Seat swap.
Pontiac_guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
gudge
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
gudge Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1319 View Post
my car that i just bought currently has been repainted. at least once, i see parts where paint is chipped around the moldngs and i see black under the black paint already it i wouldnt be surprised if i have 3 coats of black, but anyways on some panels of the car i can see orange peel, and the reflection is not as good as it should be on a black car (should be like a mirror almost when waxed properly) if i do this will it look better? or does my car need to be wetsanded.
Orange peel needs to be wet sanded out. I have heard of a specially aggressive pad that can reduce orange peel but I would be skeptical of how well that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 View Post
Man i might have to use this on my trunk lid! It is horribly swirled and these instructions are very clear and helpful.
If you're going to do this do the whole car. You will not be disappointed. Makes the car look much newer and with black you you'll have a rolling mirror.

Last edited by gudge; 07-02-2014 at 09:58 AM.
gudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #24
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudge View Post
I have heard of a specially aggressive pad that can reduce orange peel but I would be skeptical of how well that works.
Denim pads on a RO, perhaps? Apparently they can level orange peel quite well when used with M105... Anyone actually try it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1319 View Post
my car that i just bought currently has been repainted. at least once, i see parts where paint is chipped around the moldngs and i see black under the black paint already it i wouldnt be surprised if i have 3 coats of black, but anyways on some panels of the car i can see orange peel, and the reflection is not as good as it should be on a black car (should be like a mirror almost when waxed properly) if i do this will it look better? or does my car need to be wetsanded.
as far as I know wet sanding is the only way to truly correct orange peel. but that's a whole different thread with a whole new set of tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ga View Post
when applying wax, any recommend speeds to use? or specific pads?
personally I don't use the PC, when I wax if its a solid wax that doesn't squeeze out of a bottle I wax by hand. if I can squeeze it out of a bottle I use a cheap random orbital 10" buffer I got from I think walmart like 10 years ago. works great with a terry cloth, and I can freakin fly when I apply it. as far as pads go Lake County makes pads specific for waxing, however I've never used them. if I did apply wax with the PC I would probably set it to speeds 3 or 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 View Post
hey glad I'm glad my post makes it easy for you that was the point of this write up. chances are though if you do this to your trunk lid, its going to look amazing, and the rest of the car not so much. I'd recommend correct the whole car. it doesn't even have to be on the same day, one panel at a time (like grudge did) is fine too.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
You missed one VERY important step Jim..always, always, ALWAYS wash your tires/wheels before the rest of the car. People who don't do this, will throw dirt, brake dust, and more back up on their paint..and run the risk of doing more damage. I know you do it right, but the people this is targetted at probably don't know this step.

One of my favorite vids of all time was a detailer who worked exotic cars, charged tens of thousands of dollars, and basically cleaned the paint first, then the wheels, then went straight into paint correction..a total hack job.

Other than that, solid "how to"
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
Metallman56
Bears Fan

yeah I thought about including wheels and tires , but I wanted to focus more on the actual paint than anything. imo wheels and tire are a separate thread. though it is important to clean them, and if i was detailing a car, it is the first thing i clean. also aj remember i did this on a hood, not an actual vehicle. i couldn't really show how to clean wheels/tires correctly. . . without wheel/tires.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #28
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
yeah I thought about including wheels and tires , but I wanted to focus more on the actual paint than anything. imo wheels and tire are a separate thread. though it is important to clean them, and if i was detailing a car, it is the first thing i clean. also aj remember i did this on a hood, not an actual vehicle. i couldn't really show how to clean wheels/tires correctly. . . without wheel/tires.
I realize that your focus was more on paint correction/cleaning..but figured it was worth mentioning in the How To that wheels/tires should be done first (leave it up to their imagination how) before getting into working on the paint. Most people just don't think of targetting those first..and you can save them the headache of trying to figure out whats wrong later.

Maybe I should start a small side business detailing the cars for my neighbors in my building, we have a nice little car wash area in our parking garage..and I could work on everything from a 67 Vette to a Ferrari..and everything in between..

Hmm..this might be something worth pursuing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #29
Metallman56
Bears Fan

Im doing it on the side right now for cash. 1 is done, 2 more to go. Hopefully i can do a car every Saturday until it gets cold.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #30
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
Im doing it on the side right now for cash. 1 is done, 2 more to go. Hopefully i can do a car every Saturday until it gets cold.
Stop in north Indy on your way down to Lville and take me to school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote